Fibromyalgia is one of the most common chronic pain conditions, affecting nearly 10 million people in the US. Pain affects more Americans than diabetes, heart disease, and cancer combined with over 100 million chronic pain sufferers.
And still, there is no cure for fibromyalgia and very few successful treatment options for chronic pain. For decades alternative methods of treatment have been researched, but over recent years, cannabis has been a top contender despite its somewhat controversial nature.
Cannabis contains about 500 different compounds, two of which are cannabidiol(CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Unlike THC, CBD does not produce a psychoactive “high” effect because it does not affect the same receptors as THC.
THC affects the brain’s endocannabinoid receptors, producing a “high” feeling, which activates the brain’s reward system. This produces pleasure chemicals such as dopamine.
On the other hand, CBD is an entirely different compound. To keep it short, it influences the body to use its own endocannabinoids more effectively and does not affect a person’s state of mind. CBD can stop the body from absorbing the compound associated with regulating pain. It can also limit inflammation in the brain and nervous system.
CBD & Fibromyalgia
Because there is no cure for fibromyalgia, treatment options focus on pain management. CBD can be used for relieving neuropathic pain and inflammation associated with this pain. Research has also shown that patients are not likely to build up a tolerance to the effects of CBD, so they would not need to increase their dose continually.
Research has shown that cannabis can ease symptoms of fibromyalgia, including:
- A reduction of pain and stiffness
- Enhanced relaxation
- An increase in sleepiness
- Feelings of well-being
- Improved mental health
Is it Legal?
The legality in America depends on whether the CBD was derived from hemp or from marijuana because both are members of the cannabis family. The difference is that marijuana can contain up to 30% THC, whereas hemp contains no more then 0.3% THC. In other words, where marijuana can get you high, it would be impossible to get high off hemp because it has such a low amount of THC.
Please note: this post may contain affiliate links. For more information, see our disclaimer policy.
Best Hemp CBD Products for Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain
Best Oil Overall
PureKana Natural CBD Oil
- One of the purest CBD extracts available due to their unique CO2 extraction process, tested at 99% purity
- Extremely effective in treating chronic pain, inflammation, swelling, anxiety and sleep disorders
Best Oils for Pain
R+R Medicinals Hemp Oil
- Natural way to relieve chronic pain and inflammation
- Also helps with sleep, stress relief, mood support, anxiety, and skin care
Premium Organic’s Ultra Premium Hemp Oil
- Natural anti-inflammatory
- Peppermint flavor so you don’t have to worry about the “plant-like” taste of traditional hemp oil
Best Oil for Anxiety & Stress
Nature’s Landscape Organic Hemp Oil Extract
- Drops for pain management, anxiety relief, stress, and inflammation
Best Oils for Sleep
Nature Driven Hemp Oil Extract
- All natural for pain relief and anti-anxiety support, promotes relaxation and general good health
- Peppermint flavor
- Helps you fall asleep faster and enjoy quality sleep
St Moritz Organic Raw Hemp Extract
- For better sleep, joint pain, swelling, inflammation, and skin & hair health
- Peppermint and rosemary flavor
Oregon Pure Hemp Pain Stick
- Roll on powerful fast acting analgesic for fibromyalgia, arthritis, cramping, tendinitis, sciatica, back, knee, muscle, nerve, foot, joint pain and stress relief
Hemprich Hemp Extract Pain Relief Cream
- Reduces anxiety and pain
- Premium formula helps to reduce muscle, back, knee, elbow & arthritis pain, soothe stiffness, lower inflammation, relieve joint pain, fibromyalgia & carpal tunnel pain
- Fast acting, long lasting, 100% natural
Line of hemp-derived CBD products focused on pain-relief
- Muscle Freeze
- Treats inflammation, muscle pain, soreness
- Easy to use roll-on dispenser
- Quick relief and a soothing, cooling effect
- Elite Patch
- Transdermal patch with slow consistent relief
- Releases a steady 10mg of hemp-based CBD across an 8-12 hour period
- Gel Pen
- For fibromyalgia patients who experience pain in their temples
- Immediate relief, great accompaniment to the transdermal patch
- Applied to the wrist, ankle or any other veinous area of the skin
Populum Cold Therapy Hemp Rub
- Arctic cold cooling rub that helps to soothe and relieve your muscle and joints
Sagely Naturals Relief & Recovery Cream
- Hemp-based, with menthol and peppermint for added anti-inflammation relief
- Eases stiff muscles, aches, and pains and acts as anti-inflammatory
- This cream is also a good hydrator thanks to argon oil and safflower seeds
Although fibromyalgia and chronic pain cannot be cured, cannabis can help make the pain more bearable. Side effects can include unfocused judgment and concentration. Further research is needed to determine long-term effects.
Please note: All content and information on this website is for informational and educational purposes only and does not constitute professional medical advice. The information presented here is not a substitute for any kind of medical or professional advice, and you should not rely solely on this information. For more information, see our disclaimer policy.